You can copy and paste the output to Adwords Editor or web-based Adwords interface. It is easy to use, just double click the downloaded add-in file and the functionality will be added to your current Excel session.
1) Add Plus (+) Sign to ALL Words in the Keywords
Just select the range of cells that contain the keyword phrases and execute the command. It is easy.
|1. Select the range, 2. Click to "Modified All Words" and done.|
2) Add Plus (+) Sign to SPECIFIC Words in the Keywords
You can tag plus sign to specific word or a list of words to the entire list of keyword phrases.
|Specify the word or words you want to add modifier in the text box.|
You may indicate to tag all words with plus sign EXCEPT for words specified in the text box.
|Tag all with + sign EXCEPT these words in the text box.|
3) Add Plus Sign to SPECIFIC Words in the Keywords based on Word Order
This command allow you to add plus sign based on word order from left or word order from right.
|Add plus sign based on word order.|
4) Upload Through Adwords Editor
Convert the match types to a format that you can copy and paste to Adwords Editor.
|Just copy and paste to Adwords Editor.|
5) Key features of Keywords Editor's Wrapper
Tagging Broad Match Modifier is only part of the full functionality of KE Wrapper. Find out more about Keywords Editor's Wrapper here.
- You can download the Keywords Editor's Wrapper, an Excel Add-In file (file with xlam extension) here. It is free of charge for use. You may share it with your friends without changing any part of the file. It is digitally signed.
- System requirements, i.e. Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013, Windows 7 and above.
- More information on installation and how it works.
- More information on key features.
- Help page.
You can find many useful Modified Broad Match keywords tools from the Internet. Here is a list of the popular one:
Online text box
- Keyword Wrapper from SEOM Interactive. A simple and effective online keywords wrapping tool that includes BMM tagging based on specific word or words.
- Adwords Broad Keyword Converter from acquisio.com. A popular online Broad Match Modifier tool.
- Usability Booster for AdWords optimizers is an amazing web based interface Adwords tool from Data-Inside. It is an add-on to Chrome and Firefox browsers for all match types. For Broad Match Modifier, you can only tag all words (and not specific words). Introduced by Holger Schulz at Google+.
- You can tag keywords with Broad Match Modifier directly inside Adwords Editor (Read guides below).
Excel Spreadsheet with VBA Macro or Formula
- Modified Broad Match Keyword Tool from Chad Summerhill. It is an Excel file with macro capability to manipulate the keywords. You can tag BMM to specific words in keywords phrases.
- Spreadsheet and formulas (Read guides below)
- Excel with automated macro program like Keywords Editor's Wrapper (KEW) from us. These are automated Excel macro that tag your keywords quickly with Broad Match Modifier or other match types. KEW is designed to load keywords to Adwords Editor smoothly.
The how-to guides found on the Internet to tag Broad Match Modifier can be generalized into two categories. The first group is on tagging BMM in Adwords Editor and the second group is on tagging BMM using Excel. Here is the list:
Guides to use Adwords Editor for Broad Match Modifier:
- Youtube guide on Modified Broad Match Keywords by Joshua Barsch
- How to Change Keywords to +Broad +Match +Modifier Using Google AdWords Editor by James Svoboda from Webranking.com. The article is a very well written step-by-step guide.
Although both guides above explain on tagging ALL words with BMM, their "Find Replace" method can be used to tag BMM to specific words too.
Guides to use Excel formula or Macro for Broad Match Modifier:
- Google's Broad Match Modifier: Who Should Use It, Why, and How by Chad Summerhill. This article explores the use of Excel to tag specific words with modifier.
- Excel Formulas for PPC Keyword Match Type Manipulation by George Gilmer on Nimble Candle. It explains the combination use of such Excel formulas as TRIM, CONCATENATE and SUBSTITUTE for match type manipulation. The explained method is to tag Broad Match Modifier to all words in keyword phrases.
- Simple Formula to Change Your Broad Match To Modified Broad Match by adwordsninja. The video and article explore the use of Excel formula, i.e. CONCATENATE and SUBSTITUTE, and Adwords web based interface to tag words with BMM.
- Modified Broad Keywords Using Excel or Adwords Editor by Jarad Collier from PPC Campaign Generator. The video explores both use of Excel or Adwords Editor. The article explains the use of SUBSTITUTE formula in detail and provides the Excel formula in text file for download.
- How to use AdWords broad match modifier in Excel by Maria NikiShyana from Search Marketing Wisdom. This nice little article explains the default behavior of "+" sign in Excel as part of formula (which create problem for PPC marketers who use the "+" sign as text) and the solutions for different Excel versions.
- Our Wrapper's Macro Functions for Broad Match Modifier. This article shows the use of Excel automated macro in a few animated gif graphic files.
Why Broad Match Modifier matters?
Broad Match Modifier or Modified Broad Match (BMM) is an important feature of PPC advertising. It allows the advertisers to explore unknown search terms just like the use of Broad Match, yet it gives an extra control to disallow deviations from specific words.
When we start a new campaign or project, we usually have a few Ad Groups with Broad Match Modifier and Negative Keywords. We will check the "SEARCH TERMS" report to further refine our keywords list by adding negative, phrase match and exact match keywords. It is a simple but effective strategy to start a new campaign.
Here are the list of explanations from the horse mouth, i.e. Google and Microsoft's Help Page:
- Broad Match Modifier by Google
- Using keyword matching options by Google
- Using broad match modifier by Google
- The power of the broad match modifier by Microsoft
Guides and Strategies of using Broad Match Modifiers from industry experts:
- How To Use AdWords Broad Match Modifier: A MallowMayhem Example by Crosby Grant in SearchEngineLand.com
- The Benefits & Drawbacks of Modified Broad Match by Dave @daverosborough. The article gives a good summary on why use BMM and what is its limitation.
- Harvest Keywords & Scale Up with Broad Modified Campaigns and Exact Match Negatives by James Scaggs. It is a good article on strategy of using BMM.
Back to Top